Friday, 27 April 2012

THE THROSTLE TAKES FLIGHT

Sketches for a unique piece of jewellery to celebrate Wigton Market's 750 Anniversary
I have thoroughly enjoyed being one of a small group from North Cumbria Scriptwriters working together to create a play for Wigton Players. I am in awe of my fellow writers' skills and ideas and it has been a privilege to work with them and with members of Wigton Theatre Club. Now I can look forward to working more closely with the Players as they bring the Throstle to life in the theatre. However, my involvement doesn't stop there: in trying to cover 750 years of the town's history in a couple of hours, we have created a series of cameos of life through the ages, and, in order to have some sense of continuity we have core characters who go through the whole play, and a theme of young lovers who give one another a brooch, a love token handed down through the generations. Of course- I now have to make this brooch, which will be elaborate and heavy, the design based on some Viking jewellery found near Penrith. I can't wait to get started! I intend to make some smaller, simpler "throstle" jewellery- earrings, brooches and pendants for sale in the Fountain Gallery too!

The Penrith Hoard of Viking silver brooches, now in the British Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment